Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fresh sourdough bread.


I'd mentioned to Wes a while back, that now that I'm living in Kansas I thought I would like to join a CSA. (Los Angeles isn't exactly rife with farm life...) If you're not familiar with the term CSA it stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically you join a group and deposit some money and then you receive a share of one or more farms' fresh fruits and vegetables each week, usually throughout the summer.

So Wes texted me last week, in the middle of the work day, to announce that his company was one of the sponsors of a CSA and that he had signed us up on his lunch hour. Our pickup times would be Monday evenings at the local grocery and for the lean price of $25 per week we would dine in farm fresh foods!

This past Monday night we reported to the market, two canvas sacks in hand, and were duly loaded up with a half gallon of skim milk, 8 ears of sweet corn, 4 large tomatoes, 1 lb of ground chuck, fresh rosemary, two green peppers, a dozen peaches, a loaf of FRESH sourdough bread and some lip balm, as well as some recipes to try with these ingredients. All of these came from local farms and arrived in minimal packaging.

So far the produce has been varied - one of the tomatoes didn't fare too well, but the rest look great. We haven't gotten into the corn yet (but it looks great!), and the peaches need a little time to ripen. But what I like about this is that it isn't preserved with pesticides or chemicals - it's real, fresh, natural vegetables. And the Sourdough bread, I'm happy to say, is FABULOUS!

I like knowing that we're doing our part to support local farms and since I've been listening to Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma I've been starting to at least think more about the way we eat.

More updates on this soon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home