Thursday, July 03, 2008

Food for thought, or thoughts about food?

The last two days I've been sucked into some of my library check-outs. Yesterday I went down and returned Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. After trying for a week to read the book on my lunch hour, I found that I just couldn't get into it. It may very well be a brilliant book with fabulous insights, but I was sort of "eh" on the whole thing. So I made the very grownup decision that if I can't get into it, I should just move on. I happily returned the book yesterday and checked out two more books on my reading wish-list.


Yesterday at lunch time I began reading Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner's Freakonomics and I can already tell that I'm going to love it. What do you get when you take a young Chicago PhD economic genius and let him start to answer life's tough questions? Questions like: What's more deadly - a swimming pool or a gun? Well you get some really interesting answers. I've only read the first chapter so far, but Levitt pretty much takes all our preconceived notions about just about everything and spins them on their heads. It's a fascinating book so far and I'm sure this will be one of my favorite reads!


The second book that I checked out was Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. I might add that I actually didn't check out the BOOK per se, but instead I got the audio version. I'm not usually a huge fan of audiobooks (depending on the reader they can be supremely boring) and I LOVE the experience of reading a book, holding it in my hands and turning the pages. However, the library's copies of the book were checked out and I have a 45-60 minute commute twice a day every day now, so I decided to give this a try. The reader of this book isn't the best - I find him a little monotone, but the material is excellent. I'm only one disc in (of 13) but I'm already sucked into his exploration of the fundamental question, "What should we eat?" Especially since this question always arises in my own home! Again, so far I'm really sucked in and I can't wait to get back in the car and listen to more!

Today I'm working a short day, and then this evening we're heading down to my in-laws for some kayaking, watching of fireworks, and hopefully some knitting and R&R. I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and I'll be back soon with knitting photos! (Yes between reading and working and PackRatting [Rattin' as we in the know call it], I have been managing to get some knitting done too!) (By the way, can you tell I like parentheticals?)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

How funny! I checked out the audiobook version of The Omnivore's Dilemma about a year or so ago and loved the reader so much that I listened to 20 something discs worth of Salt: A World History because it was the same reader.

Me = Dork

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home