Friday, September 28, 2007

Occasional Perks


Although I seem to complain about my job, some days it's just really cool to work here. Today we got a perk courtesy of the fact that we have CREATIVE in our title. Today in the spirit of creative and artistic endeavors, we got to view the movie Breach at work, followed by an hour Q&A with the film's writer and director Billy Ray. Let me say that even before the Mr. Ray uttered his first words, I was entranced by the movie. I don't know what rock I was hiding under when this case broke, but I really didn't know the true story going in to see the movie. While the story itself is compelling, intriguing and scary, the acting was amazing. Chris Cooper is genuinely moving, and portrays a man that we should justifiably hate for his treasonous acts with such complex character and passion. Ryan Phillipe and Laura Linney round out this excellent cast, and their performances are no less inspiring. I would highly recommend this movie!

After the movie concluded, Mr. Ray graciously sat with us for over an hour and spoke about his influences in writing and directing this movie, how the script changed throughout (45 drafts!) and explored the basic (and incredibly complicated) art of bringing a story to life.

And all this occurred during normal business hours and counted as part of my work day. Can't beat that!

(As a side note, Mr. Ray is currently working on the script for the remake of Westworld - a favorite of my father's, and the first movie that genuinely scared me so badly I barely slept for days.)

ETA - We also dined on all 4 of the major food groups today: Popcorn, Pizza, Ice Cream and Cake. We did miss the tuna group!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ambaa said...

I've never heard of this movie, what is the story it's based on?

8:37 PM  
Blogger littledevilworks said...

Oops. It's based on the story of Robert Hanssen. More info here.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home