Monday, December 12, 2005

O Holy Night SMACKDOWN

I return this morning with more discourse on Christmas Music. Although I wouldn't call what I'm about to do new and different I would like to speak of my favorite song, and give some cheers and jeers for good and bad versions.

I have always loved O Holy Night. Don't ask me why, because it's HUGELY religious and I'm not a religion fan. But there is something about this song that has always appealed to me. Perhaps it's the melody or the sweeping range involved in singing, but this particular carol is hands down my favorite.

Words: Placide Clappeau, 1847; trans­lat­ed from French to Eng­lish by John S. Dwight (1812-1893). Clap­peau, a wine mer­chant and may­or of Roque­maure, France, wrote po­ems for his own en­joy­ment.

Music: Adolphe C. Adam (1803-1856) This is said to have been the first mu­sic ev­er broad­cast over a ra­dio.

Without further ado:

The Good (great):

* Josh Groban - His voice and interpretation of this song make me shiver each time I hear it.

* N Sync - Normally I wouldn't enjoy quite so stylized a version (particularly with the grace notes) but it's the a capella harmony that just sucks me in. Try it here.

* Nat King Cole - Need I say more? Listen here.


The Bad:

* Celine Dion - Now this had the potential to be a good version. First of all, she could have done one of the verses in French which would have taken it up a notch and made it a little different. You can say a lot about Celine, but the woman has pipes. I wanted so much more.

The Ugly:

* Mariah Carey. Read about it here.

* Jessica Simpson - I'm not sure I've ever heard the song sung orgasmically before. I'm not sure I want to ever again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home