Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Searching for something a little bit different.

I've remarked already this season how, to my dismay, several of my favorite radio stations have gone Christmas style 24/7 and how annoying I find it. I mean c'mon folks, who can be all chipper and Christmas-y on a Monday morning 3 weeks before the blessed event.

In contrast to my annoyance with the ever-hastening presence of Christmas each year, I actually do love the music. This might sound odd coming from a little Jewish girl, but I not only grew up in a primarily Christian community, but I don't have any strong ties to Judaism. The music, much of it anyhow, doesn't actually have a lot to do with religion, but more about the warmth of indoors during the season (well ok if you're in LA it's warm inside, outside all year round) and the family and friendship. Besides, the tree smells good, the lights are pretty and I don't remember either in that old manger where the baby was born who we're celebrating.

ANYHOW - so I like them tunes. Except some of the tunes get old year after year, especially that one about that dang little drummer boy. So I'm always up for something new. Aha - now you get the subject line.

So from now until Christmas I will try to scout out the best new and DIFFERENT songs I can find (and I also might jeer the bastardizations of the old favorites too.)

Without further ado:

My new favorite from this morning: SheDaisy doing Jingle Bells. An update to a classic song that includes a melodic twist and quite a bit of harmony. On the entertainment scale: I refrained from hitting doze until it was over and listened closely.

My new jeer: Mariah Carey wrecking my personal favorite, O Holy Night. (And no she doesn't get a link because it is such utter garbage.) Stick to pop and tight tops, and quit mucking up Christmas Mimi!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home