Monday, December 12, 2005

IMDB: Internet Movie Devil Blog

Title courtesy of a colleage.

Well it occurs to me that I haven't done my movie reviews in a while, probably clear back to Thanksgiving weekend. So here's a recap of what I've seen in the recent past:

* Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - I can't really say that I saw this one as I fell asleep fairly early on and pretty much napped right through it. (Hey! Wes was awful warm and snuggly on the couch, you would have slept too!) Anyway, his verdict was that it was quite odd. It had the potential to be really interesting - basically it's Hamlet from a different perspective. It ended up slightly across between Monty Python and a weird acid trip. (from my few minutes notice...)

* Sin City - This one I really wanted to see, and unfortunately I fell asleep again. However what little I saw was quite interesting and stylized and Wes seemed to enjoy it. That's all I got on that one.

* Miracle - This was a great movie. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but Kurt Russell and the cast do an incredible job of recreating the USA hockey team. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it as a feel good movie (beware the body checks though).

* Short Cuts - Another truly odd offering from Robert Altman with an amazing cast. This one caught my eye because I love Robert Altman flicks. It was as usual, totally bizarre but a good watch. If you like quirky zany films that make no sense until the end, this one's for you.

* The Office: Series 1 - The BBC Edition. I hate to say it, but I found this show insipid. It's like a manual of what NOT to do in an office. Having actually been forced to sit through all the seminars on how NOT to sexually harass people and how NOT to behave at work, watching this was painful to the point of not being enjoyable. Sorry folks. I just didn't like it.

* Alexander - I know this one got panned in the reviews, and now I know why. It's got an interesting cast, but it is just badly done. The talent (Angelina Jolie, Colin Farrell, Jared Leto, Val Kilmer) seem to be Grecian, but they all speak with Romanian and Irish and absolutely unrecognizable accents. The story would benefit from being an hour shorter, and involving more than Colin Farrell alternately crying and bullying his soldiers to press onward. Sir Anthony Hopkins was the only redeeming factor and even he couldn't save this train wreck. I wouldn't try it if I were you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home