Monday, May 02, 2005

Nostalgia Redux

nos·tal·gi·a
n.
A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.

So the debate of the night is, can one be nostalgic for things one never had?

Case in point:

Tonight on my way out of class, I meandered through the quad to find the USC Marching Band getting ready for an impromptu concert. I believe it's a "first night of finals" tradition. Anyhow, out in front of the main library (Leavey) at 10pm, they start up at full volume and spirit. After several songs they start "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac, and the percussion section actually jumps into the pool/fountain in front of the library managing to drench anyone who couldn't get away fast enough. To some this sounds childish, and while I grant you it's definitely a college occurence, the band is amazingly good and it was a pleasure to listen and to watch.

The debate? This wasn't an experience I had in college. I went to college in the midwest where when finals rolled around it was either colder than a witches tit or hotter than hell. We didn't have a football team to speak of, much less a marching band. So this isn't really a thing of my past.

Rather it was a little treat that I got to enjoy in the present. Something I might have missed had I not been there at that exact point and place in time. Who knew a kind of depressed day could end with a little sunshine?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home