Monday, May 02, 2005

Exhausted...and then some.

Haven't had as much time to post recently because real life has sort of exploded. A quick run down:

Work: The Provost of 12 years is leaving at the end of this month, so the University, and my office is all in a tizzy to wrap up all loose ends, prepare 12 year overview reports to the Trustees, and send him off in a big gala. That and my own boss is prepping for a 2 week vacation towards the end of May. My desk is stacked high with papers and tasks - no computer games for me this week!

School: The term is winding down - this week marks the last week of classes for the Spring "Quarter of Death". I'm not too sorry to see it go. Tonight is a presentation, after which the remaining classes are review for the finals. Finals start next week, which will be a bit rough given personal life (see below), but I'll be glad to be done. Unfortunately the new term starts the following Monday, May 16. There really is no rest for the wicked. ;)

Personal Life: Where to begin? The second wedding is this weekend, and I have to say I'm not entirely jazzed about it. The bride informed me this morning that makeup begins at 5am. Now I am not a morning person, much less ready to be poked and prodded by some unfamiliar individual at 5am. When I get married I'm going to do something simple - eloping is sounding better and better.

Next on the list is Papa. My Papa Howie is almost 87 years old and doesn't seem to be doing so well. Right now we're waiting to hear when he's set to have heart surgery - his arteriosclerosis has gotten so bad that they're afraid he's going to have another stroke, one that could wipe out his speech. We're keeping our fingers crossed and waiting to here more from the doctors.

Adjusting to life alone. I really don't want to comment too much on this, but suffice it to say that in a period of extended silence from Wes, I'm having to adjust back to living my life alone. All the good things, all the bad things... at night in my apartment it's just me, myself and I. Not to sound cynical or pessimistic or whatever, but at key moments in my life I seem to have found that the only person that will always be with me is myself. It's an interesting adjustment to make.

Last but not least, yours truly turns 27 this week. Amidst the Provost sendoff, the wedding, the potential surgery and other factors, the birthday is not really being celebrated much this year, but I do find myself looking back at where I was a year ago. Since then I think I've grown a lot as a person. I've re-entered the school world, I've been at this job longer than any of my others, I've gone back to living by myself, I've reconnected with many friends and I've had a relationship where once again, I felt like I learned what it was to love. All in all, I'd have to say I'm pretty proud of myself over this past year. I certainly have my faults to work on, but I don't expect to be perfect (just almost!).

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home