Sunday, April 19, 2009

Knitapalooza

My knitting has been very (frustratingly) sporadic of late due to my weird retail hours. So it was with great glee that I finished my last retail shift (ever I hope!) this past Thursday and headed out for a knitting weekend with my friends.


This weekend was the Sunflower Knitters Guild's "Sunflower Spring Knitaway (SSK)" down in Harveyville, KS at The Harveyville Project. It was a fabulous weekend! We arrived in Harveyville late on Friday. After delicious hors d'ouvres and sweets, we traded/sold/swapped some yarn and headed up to bed.

Because the location was an old school building, the bedrooms were old classrooms. Lunch was in the basement cafeteria, and we did lots of knitting and spinning while sitting in a wide circle in the old gym.


As for me, I took a few dye classes. The first was an acid dye class, where I created a beautiful semi-solid skein of 1500 yards of Shetland Lace. I combined colors like Violet and Crimson, sometimes adding a little black. I hope to use this to make a wonderful lacy shawl.








I also took the Kool-Aid dying class. Here I decided to have a little fun and dyed 770 yards of Kona Superwash sport weight in Berry Blue and Orange. It's bright and fun and I LOVE it.






While out in Harveyville we got to mingle with the chickens and the sheep and the lambs. That's right, I went into the sheep enclosure and held one of the new baby lambs, Ronnie. She's only a few weeks old and so sweet!

Last, but certainly not least I got quite a bit of knitting done this weekend. I did some that I can't picture yet, but I did manage to finish a great pair of socks that have been on my needles forever.


The Pattern: Seaweed Socks by Wendy Johnson

The Needles: US 1's

The Yarn: Trekking XXL in Green (I like to call it Seafoam!)

The Verdict: I liked these socks. They kept getting pushed aside for other projects, which is why they took so long to finish, but they were a fun, simple knit and I love how they turned out!


That's all the news for here. I arrived home this afternoon about 5pm and I'm getting to bed early because I start the new job tomorrow. More to come!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Best wishes on your first day on the new job. I know it will be great!!!

Lynn

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home