Thursday, December 04, 2008

Some Assembly Required

I'm keeping busy crafting for the holidays over here and absolutely NONE of it is bloggable since it's all gifty goodness. So instead I'll talk about what I've been reading and watching.


On the way out to Los Angeles, Wes suggested that I pick up a copy of Twilight. (It turns out some airport shops will let you return it when you're done reading and give you half your money back!) I had been wanting to read the book for a while, especially before I take in the movie. I'm not lovestruck. And I didn't rip through the book because the writing was so good, although it wasn't bad. The reason I enjoyed this book so incredibly much is because of Stefanie Meyer's creative take on vampires. She essentially took every myth about vampires and spun it on it's head. And THAT's what kept me reading from cover to cover within the span of a 3-hour flight. Now I can just hope I get the rest of the set for Christmas.


Before I left Los Angeles, my father recommended a bevy of books to me. Turns out that top of the stack was another foray into vampire mania, Christopher Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends. So far it's gritty, bizarre, a little violent and NOTHING like Twilight or the Anne Rice novels. I also have a few more Christopher Moore books that should keep me company during my breaks at the job.


I was overjoyed this morning to receive an email from Netflix that instant watching is now available on Macs. I took advantage of this immediately, and enjoyed a quirky little French film this evening, Seducing Doctor Lewis. The movie is set in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere that is struggling to become the site of a new factory. But the factory will only open if the town has a permanent doctor. The rest of the movie is about how the town seduces one Dr. Lewis. It was quirky and hilarious. As long as you're up for subtitles, I'd totally recommend this one!

Tomorrow I give up my crafting and reading to work a full shift in the home department of the department store. Wish me luck!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Georgia said...

Depending on how fast you read, you can read all four of the Twilight books within a week, if not quicker. I read them over a span of two days per book. :D

7:53 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann Barker said...

I loved Seducing Dr. Lewis! Yay Canadian films!
Also, I don't know if _A Dirty Job_ is on the list of Chris Moore books, but I listened to it on my way home last year & loved it. :)

8:06 AM  
Blogger caseyoconnell said...

I hope the work is going well! I really enjoyed Christopher Moore's "Lamb." It's the story of Biff, Christ's childhood friend. It's awesome.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home