Monday, November 17, 2008

Reality Bites

Why is it that at night, as I lie in bed and wait for sleep to come, I compose beautiful bloggy prose in my head and when the morning comes and I can finally type it all out, all that remains is "I can haz cheezeburger?"

Last night, for instance, I had this whole beautiful post about how my life is going right now. How I got a call about 6 weeks ago to interview for a great position at a local company. How I sailed through three rounds of interviews (one with the CEO) and how I was happy and excited and nervous and buoyant all at the same time. And then how in the last week or two I seem to have hit a wall. They have my number, but they just don't seem to be calling me. How I have no idea if I did something wrong, or if they're still working on it or if they're "just not that into me".

And then I started thinking about how I felt when I applied to colleges. How when I visited Cornell I fell in LOVE with the university and how I wanted to go there so badly I could taste it. And then the unthinkable happened - I wait-listed. And suddenly I had to pursue a plan B that I hadn't even started thinking about. I had to suck it up, get over it, and get on with my life.

Which is what I did today. I'm now a seasonal sales associate at a major department store. It isn't my dream job (although I'm sure it's a perfectly great job) and a little part of me is dying inside that I had to suppress both my bachelors and my graduate degree to even get the job. But I'm moving on, finding a paycheck and working through this period of limbo.

Now that wasn't poetic at all, but there you have it. Reality bites.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Azeem Jiva said...

Things will get better. Hang in there.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home