Monday, December 29, 2008

It's the most wonderful time....

I hope you all had great Christmases! I'm sorry for the little absence, but we've been busy enjoying our time off! We spent Christmas Eve and day with Wes' family. There was a small tree, amazing food, and lots of presents. And of course I forgot to take photos until after everything was over and done with. I managed to document the tree:


And Wes in his usual humorous style managed to document the aftermath of presents:


Not pictured: the cat who LOVED the ribbons and paper. You would have thought it was her own personal Christmas celebration. This year we decided to go smaller on presents, given the wedding and honeymoon and expenses this year. But everyone managed to get something fun. I got my long lusted-after blocking wire kit (now I need to finish the lace shawl I'm knitting to use them!) and the full set of the Twilight series. Lots of reading in store!

My favorite gift that we gave this year is the one we gave my mother-in-law. She had told Wes a while ago that what she really wanted was one of those glass cubes with pictures laser-etched inside. Given the wedding, we had lots of photographic material from which to choose. And what we came up with was this:

I love pretty much all of our wedding photos, but I love how this one got captured within the glass.

Finally, there was, of course, lots of knitting. With the Christmas rush over, my work schedule has been a bit less demanding and during slightly more normal hours. So I've had a lot more time to be knitting. Which brings me to these:


The Pattern: Winter Twilight Mittens

The Yarn: Collinette Jitterbug (Teal) and Dale Baby Ulli (Black)

The Needles: US 0's

The Verdict: I LOVE LOVE LOVE these mitts! I always loved the pattern, but when I found the deep teal colored yarn I was settled. I started this project back in October and, as it was my first foray into colorwork, it took me a while to get the hang of it. The first mitt took a few weeks and a little bit of ripping. The second one went like lightening though. I cast on Christmas Eve, and finished it this morning! Now I just have to decide what I want to do about making it a set (I have enough yarn for matching hat and scarf!) I'm thinking about making a tam mocking the pattern in the gloves and then doing something lusciously cabled for a scarf.

Of course today it is 51 degrees out and too warm for mitts! But I'm sure I'll be using them soon!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home