Wednesday, February 13, 2008

We're not in California any more Toto!

Today was the day that I decided I would get a Kansas drivers license. Now unlike California, you don't just go to a Kansas DMV. For some reason, in Kansas you get your license in one place and your title and registration in another. I also learned, upon perusing some of the government sites, that even with a valid out of state drivers license I would have to take both the written and the driving test and provide either a birth certificate or passport because my California license was not considered valid identification and proof of identity. OY!

So I started the day going to the Kansas licensing center, hoping my quick perusal of the Kansas State Driver's Handbook would be enough to pass the written test, and that my 10+ years of driving experience would be enough to pass the driving test. I might add, that before I loaded up the GPS to find the center, I did place a quick call that went like this:

Me: Hello. I was wondering if I needed to make an appointment to take my driving test?
Her: Why would you do that?

Um....Ok....this is a little different.

I arrived a bit after noon to a storefront in a strip mall, and stood in line for a while. When I finally got to the front of the line, I presented my California drivers license and my passport. She asked me a few questions and then started typing furiously. She asked me if I wanted to register to vote today (YES YES I want to be one of the 12 Kansas democrats!) and then handed me this:



That my friends is the sad remains of this California girl's ID. Apparently my Kansas license will be here in 2-4 weeks.

P.S. The website also lies - I didn't have to take any tests, just paid my $22 and was on my way.
P.P.S. So I queried the center about where to register. She lost me after "go to the main road and just past the waffle house you'll see a...."
P.P.P.S. Of course fate also intervened - in the SAME STRIP MALL I looked over and saw a sign for Knit Wit. Ahhhhh a wonderful knitting store where I sat and knitted for over an hour and chatted with tons of people!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Azeem Jiva said...

I also miss my California driving license :(

2:46 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

It's the same way when you switch to a California driver's license from a KS driver's license -- my mom had a CA license twenty some years ago when we lived there, but her KS driver's license was apparently not valid identification. She needed to show a birth certificate AND a marriage license before they would let her have a CA license.

Nice to meet you tonight at MisKnits! -- Jo

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home