Sunday, April 06, 2008

KITHing it up.

This weekend I spent most of the weekend with my knitty girlfriends at Knitting in the Heartland, the Sunflower Knitters Guild's annual conference. This year's featured guest was Stefanie Japel from Glampyre Knits and author of the book Fitted Knits. The best part was that this conference was local - right here in KC!

Friday night we started with a knitty girls dinner at the famous Jack Stack for some great margaritas and BBQ (and mmmm cheesy corn bake!). Saturday morning dawned too early for me. I got to the hotel just before 9am and settled into a class taught by Stefanie. I was so impressed! She's fun and funny, and a great teacher. While I was too advanced for the class, I enjoyed hearing about how she applies her techniques to existing patterns and she had some great thoughts about designing your own patterns using some simple tips and tricks.

Then lunch time arrived and it was time to SHOP! I was pretty good, but I did pick up a few things....


First I got a long awaited project bag from Girley Purls. The proprietress has been one of the most welcoming people since I arrived here in KC and her work is really amazing. She hand crafts each one of these bags, and she actually thinks about her customers and picks fabric that she thinks suits them. This one is perfect for me! I would highly recommend visiting her site and snapping up some project bags, stitch markers and anything else she sells!

But then there was YARN.


From left to right: Memphis from Textiles A Mano, Knitty Bits sock yarn from Two Windows Dye Co., and Happy Feet from Misknits here in KC. I also picked up some stitch markers and some beautiful buttons (for the purple yarn).

Then last night 20 of us knitters (along with Stefanie) went out to dinner. I think we scared the restaurant staff when we showed up, ordered drinks, and pulled out our knitting to hang out for the evening. What a great day!


Today was a lazy day. I slept in a bit and then started some laundry. Wes and I took a long walk on the paths near and around our complex and then did a quick grocery trip. We also managed to set up a garden! No, we're not planting outdoors but for Christmas I bought Wes an Aero Garden so that we could try hydroponic gardening (water, seeds and light - no soil!) We set it up tonight and in a few days we should have herbs sprouting in our kitchen. Within 28 days we can harvest dill, chives, cilantro, basil, parsley and a couple of others.

Tonight he's cooking dinner and I'm knitting my little arse off (working all week means I'm really behind on my commissions and samples) and preparing for Monday.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Glad you had fun and got to go out to dinner with us - and I heart your project bag. Carmen has great taste. :)

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home