Sunday, August 19, 2007

Money.


Money. That thing that doesn't buy happiness, but sure can bring a lot of worries. That thing we need to survive, like it or not.

The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it.
--Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937)

Since I graduated from college I've mostly been living paycheck to paycheck. I have started a 401K, and thanks to the generous match of my employer, that account is growing nicely. However, anything I had in savings or have been able to squirrel away has gone to pay for my graduate education.

Wes will tell you that since he met me I've been worried about money. Not very many months go by when I'm sure exactly how I'm going to pay for everything. Luckily, so far it has always worked out. I manage to pick up some freelance work or extra money drops from the sky.

However, since my rent went up this year and my raise didn't match it, I've been feeling some pressure. Tonight, I finally figured out why that is. Apparently I have a problem.

i'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart.
--e e cummings

I did a back of the envelope calculation tonight. When I look at my take home income, and subtract out rent, car payments, loan payments and utilities what is left is slightly north of $300. And that's before I cover food, gas and those other unexpected expenses.

I think a better job is in order (or a second one failing that).

Money often costs too much.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home