Friday, January 19, 2007

Punched in the stomach.

Today has felt like one punch in the stomach after another.

I've been reading for one of my classes entitled "Competitive Advantage Through People." The basic premise is that in today's knowledge-based economy, people are the most important asset in any business because they carry with them more monetary value in both tacit and explicit knowledge than any phyisical plant, property and equipment can. This isn't exactly new knowledge; companies have pledged for years that "People are most important to us." And yet, most companies don't do a good job of making this more than lip service. The premise of this class is to teach us why and how this important, and how to change how we think about our businesses and our people, now and in the future.

I find these readings horribly depressing.

I don't find them depressing because I think what they say is untrue. I find them depressing because each day I am reminded how UN-valuable my current employers think I am. Or rather, perhaps not think, but demonstrate in their actions.

I have been working as a freelance graphic designer for a theatre company for the past 5 years, since I left full time employment there. I don't do a lot of work for them - a magazine ad or postcard here and there - but it's a nice way to stay in touch with the company, involved in something creative, and a earn little extra spending money. Today I received an email from the new management saying that they wanted all my graphics and templates. Now technically, they own the work I have done, and have every right to ask for the files. However, what they really want is the files so that they can edit them in the future. A clear sign that my talents are no longer valuable or necessary to them.

As you who read my blog know, my boss recently left the company for greener pastures and life since he left has been a little uncertain for me. I am close to graduating with my MBA, though not any closer to figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. New management seems to have relegated me further and further into an administrative assistant role. Despite being told that my contributions are valued here, I have seen no actions that would indicate my new bosses are planning any promotion in my position comensurate with my masters level education. My previous boss, though he has praised me as a valuable resource many times, has told me that he is unable to take me with him to his new place of business as there simply aren't any positions open that he can fill.

I found out this afternoon that's not exactly true. He's taking someone with him; it just isn't me.

****

In a VERY timely (and now much needed) break, I am off for the weekend to help Wes celebrate his 35th birthday. I hope you all enjoy your weekends and that I return in better spirits.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home