Friday, January 19, 2007

Grey's Anatomy: Real Life McAngry


Apparently I'm not very up on my gossip. Last night after a night of D&D I went home to crash on the couch and watch my DVR - my favorite show, Grey's Anatomy. During the airing, the commercials and ads I didn't zip through kept mentioning controversey on the set. A quick search of the Internet revealed this not so minor, and not so pretty squabble:

"Grey's" Star Apologizes For Using Slur

"Grey's Anatomy" star Isaiah Washington has formally apologized for using the word "faggot" in the Golden Globes press room Monday night.

"I apologize to T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community for using a word that is unacceptable in any context or circumstance," he said in a statement.

Washington opened old wounds backstage at the Golden Globes when he answered a question about the October on-set argument where he allegedly referred to co-star T.R. Knight using an anti-gay slur.

"No, I did not call T.R. a 'faggot,'" Washington told reporters. "It never happened."

Washington and the cast of the show were in the press room to celebrate their Golden Globe win for best drama series.

"By repeating the word Monday night, I marred what should have been a perfect night for everyone who works on 'Grey's Anatomy,'" he said. "I can neither defend nor explain my behavior. I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help."

Washington's apology came shortly after ABC, which airs the popular drama series, issued a statement Thursday saying the network is "greatly dismayed" by the actor's use of the homophobic slur.

The network said it is taking the situation "very seriously," calling Washington's actions "unacceptable" and saying the issue is "being addressed."

In an appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Wednesday, Knight discussed the controversy, saying the October incident forced him out of the closet and shifted his perspective on the issue because he had never been called that to his face before.

It was then, he told DeGeneres, that he decided to tell People magazine that he is gay. "Everyone heard (the slur), on the set," Knight said. "I have never been called (faggot) to my face," he said. "I could have just let it slide and not said anything. But it became important for me to make the statement."

In regards to the remark Washington made in the press room at the Golden Globes, where he denied using the slur, Knight told DeGeneres, "I don't know what to say, really, about that."

"I don't either, except that we should not say hateful words to one another," DeGeneres said.

According to the New York Daily News, the on-set squabble in October between Dempsey and Washington nearly came to blows about cast members being late for production.

After Dempsey and Washington had words, Washington reportedly fired the slur at Knight, which prompted Dempsey to say, "Pick on someone your own size," according to the National Enquirer.

At the press conference, Washington's comment prompted gasps from the crowd and the rest of the briefing was spent watching Sandra Oh trying to keep Knight from bolting the platform, according to Hollywood Reporter.

The denial also upset co-star Katherine Heigl. At the In Style Warner Brother's party later, she told "Access Hollywood's" Shaun Robinson that Washington was way out of line.

"I'm going to be really honest right now … he needs to just not speak in public, period," Heigl said of Washington. "I'm sorry, that did not need to be said, I'm not OK with it."


I don't know about you, but I'm ok with Dr. Burke being written out of the series right about now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home