Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Financial aid is a bitch.

Let me preface this by saying that I am grateful to the government for making Federal Stafford Loans possible for graduate education. I am particularly grateful for the $8500 unsubsidized portion.

However, I am particularly scornful of the institutional financial aid office which shall remain nameless. (IFAOWSRN) I have been diligently filling out all my forms and applications since April - my FAFSA, and all institutional related forms. Partway through the summer IFAOWSRN decides it is going to rollout an electronic financial aid system, where all my information will be right at my fingertips. This is about 1.5 months ago. My information has only come to my fingertips this very morning, approximately 22 days before my BIG FRIGGIN TUITION PAYMENT (BFTP) is due. So IFAOWSRR calmly tells me to wait indefinitely for my eligibility. When it finally pops up this morning, I then have to print out several forms indicating which of the menu of cafeteria options I would like to use to reduce my BFTP. Now that I have done so I must fax it to the IFAOWSRN so that they can fax it to my lending institution. Then my lending institution must send me a Master Promissory Note (MPN) confirming what I would like to take towards my BFTP.

ONLY then will my IFAOWSRN consider me aided for the year. Not only does this all have to happen in T-22 days, but the financial aid payment has to be transferred or I have to schedule a deferrment with the IFAOWSRN. This during their "peak period" where their phone lines actually say "We are extremely busy and due to high call volume we cannot take your call" before abruptly disconnecting you.

Color me pissed.

P.S. I might add that I have not actually received my fee bill yet despite payment being due in almost exactly three weeks. I should receive the bill the night of my last final, along with a binder of material to read for the new classes that start in 3 weeks [for which I must write 2 papers to be turned in the first day] and a cheery note from the program administrator (who does not know the difference between the word "roll" and "role" in a variety of contexts) telling me to enjoy my three weeks off during which I will be working on new curriculum. Gotta love grad school.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy L said...

HA! I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I am a graduate of the Institution that shall not be named and I SWORE over my 4 1/2 years there that upon graduation, I was taking the Fin Aid office DOWN! lol

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home