Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A pet peeve...

I hate it when you admit your folly and go to a dictionary and look a term up and the definition refers to the root of the word. Example:

dys·to·pi·an
adj.
Of or relating to a dystopia.
ex. “AIDS is one of the dystopian harbingers of the global village” (Susan Sontag).

Now I looked it up because I didn't know what dystopia meant - obviously I get that it's an adjective. So let's try again:

dys·to·pi·a
n.
An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.
A work describing such a place or state: “dystopias such as Brave New World” (Times Literary Supplement).

Ok, NOW I get it. The end of the world is coming.

This example was generated by the book Spacebraid and Other Tales of a Dystopian Universe by J. Allan Wolf.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home