Friday, May 01, 2009

That's Entertainment!

So I actually have finished not one, but TWO projects this week. The gloomy skies and occasional torrential rain have made photographs impossible, however, so you'll have to content yourself with your imaginations today. Instead I'll write about a few entertaining things I've been into lately.

First off, I'm VERY VERY late to the podcast-listening party, but I have arrived. In the last few weeks I've discovered podcasts with a vengeance. Consequently I've spent most of my days listening to the following podcasts:

1. Cast On by Brenda Dane - The quirky and fun knitting tales of an American living in Wales. This podcast features some of the most interesting tidbits of music I've heard and some wonderful stories of knitting mishaps. All of her podcasts are accessible from her website.


2. Lime n Violet - I wasn't sure what to expect out of this podcast. It's a little less polished than Cast On but I think it might actually be my favorite knitting podcast so far. From listening to the show, and following the show notes and links I've found some great fiber artists! And I love hearing about what the girls are knitting. You can find this podcast on iTunes and subscribe!


3. Stash and Burn - This is the podcast of two girls desperately fighting to conquer and knit from their stashes. I aspire to knit from my stash... I think I could learn a few things listening to them. You can listen to this podcast on the site linked above!

4. Sticks & String by David Reidy - David is an "Australian bloke" who chats about what it's like to be a male knitter in Australia. His charming accent is a boon to his amusing anecdotes and discussions of knitting.

Now I know the ones I listed above were a little knitting centric (who me?). However, I've also found that I can follow my favorite NPR shows on iTunes as well. Never more do I have to miss Car Talk and Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me again.

Finally I've been trying to get back into reading. Currently in progress: The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley and The Know it All by A.J. Jacobs, gifted to me by the l'il sis' man this past Christmas. Stay tuned for book reports!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Check out CraftLit (different chapter of a book each time and she just started The Scarlet Letter recently)

Also Stitch It is a great podcast too.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jacqui said...

I love "The Know-it-All!" A.J. Jacobs is very funny. I have his next book, "Living Biblically" on my to-read pile.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Cyndilou :) said...

Huh, I'd never heard of "Wait, Wait" until this past week (a couple friends went to the taping of it in Chicago) -- guess I'll have to check it out. :D

5:23 AM  
Blogger Lynda the Guppy said...

LOVED Mists of Avalon. Lots of sequels/prequels (4 or 5 books in the series?), but I've only read Mists.

I kind of liked the TNT movie they did, too. Excellent cast with a lot of "names" and some heavy-duty talent.

As for The Know It All, I tried listening to it, as it seemed this would be right up my alley, but the reader (can't remember if it was him or not) came across as smug and obnoxious, so I stopped listening after about an hour or two. Maybe if I had actually READ it, I would feel differently.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home