Sunday, March 16, 2008

Work in Progress

Today's post is all about works in progress. Right now I have quite a few going, and I don't know how soon too many of them will be done, so in my antsy state, I photographed what I'm working on.

First of all, I have again joined Project Spectrum. Project Spectrum is the brainchild of Lolly, an inspiring knitter and photographer who suggested that we knitters celebrate the whole color spectrum by spending a month or two devoted to each color. In past years she has grouped the colors in different ways, but this year she (and the PS group) decided to make the theme Elements. This means that for the months of February and March we are working on the Element of Fire: colors including red, pink and orange. Although I'm not always so good on picking projects that coincide with Project Spectrum, I do happen to be knitting a few fiery knits right now.


The first is a lacy cardigan called Ariann, designed by ChicKnits. It's a cute little sweater, and knitting up quite easily. I've already done a chunk of the body and I'm currently doing the sleeves (two at a time via the magic loop!) to be attached to the body and worked raglan style. I'm using Cascade 220 Superwash (gotta have it be washable!) in a great colorway - Ruby. I got the yarn at A Mano and I'm loving working with it. I can't wait for the sweater to be finished.


The second fiery project I'm working on is my first real lace project - the Shoalwater Shawl. I saw someone working on this shawl in A Mano and KNEW I wanted to do it. I selected a yummy yarn - Malabrigo Laceweight - kettle-dyed merino wool that's so soft it's amazing. I chose the Pagoda color way which is a cross between pink and orange. It's beautiful and the photo doesn't do it justice. This is going to be a long knit as I'm learning the challenge of knitting detailed lace work over hundreds of stitches - I can only do about 10 rows at a time before my concentration is shot. But I'm loving it anyway!


The final project I have in progress is not a fiery project (it sort of belongs in the Water category which isn't for a few more months!). When I arrived in KC and found a great little knitting store, MisKnits, I discovered Dream in Color Smooshy. This has been all the rage lately and I can see why. It's a beautiful hand-dyed semi-solid merino sock yarn. I couldn't resist buying a skein in the Blue Lagoon colorway and to my delight, it was perfect for trying Cookie A's Pomatomus from Knitty. The pattern has been a bit of a challenge, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the yarn, the variegation and how the socks are turning out.

So that's what I'm up to. I have a few more samples waiting in the wings, and a couple other projects I'm excited to knit. I'd like to start on a few tank tops so that I'll have some swanky summer knitted items once it gets steamy here in KC. I also found out that I have some great yarns in the stash that will work well for patterns I've found. Gotta love Ravelry!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home