Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Giggling through history.


For Chanukah/Christmas, the l'il sis' boyfriend gave me a book, Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. I hadn't heard of the book, nor the author so I had no idea what I was in for. All I knew was that she had recently received quite a bit of acclaim on NPR, and that was enough.

I was in for a treat though! Ms. Vowell has written a book about taking a vacation to retrace the steps of America's most famous assassins. What she weaves together is a humorous retelling of some of the darkest moments in U.S. history. Aside from her impeccable historical research, she spends a lot of time exploring the nuances of who knew who, who was present where and when, and all the interesting footnoted trivia about our presidents and the men that chose to kill them. I profess I'm no historical buff, but this was a truly enjoyable read and I spent most of it giggling through history. If you're a liberal at heart, you'll enjoy Ms. Vowell's explorations and how she relates them to current political quagmires.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home