Monday, January 08, 2007

Splendiferous Weekend Update

Even though I returned to work last week, the last vestiges of Holiday Break were still clinging because school hadn't started yet and Wes was still here. Well school starts tonight and Wes leaves tomorrow morning and I don't like it one bit.


The weekend, however, was really delightful. Friday night we snuggled at home, he beat my ass at Scrabble again, and we went to bed early. Saturday morning we slept in a little bit, and then went out for some walking/eating/shopping at the local mall, a quick stop by the yarn store for a pattern I needed, and then some geocaching. We walked two miles and found two fun caches.


Saturday night we had dinner with my parents at a great restaurant, the Sonora Cafe, and then went to see the new musical 13 at the Mark Taper. I was originally a little skeptical about this one - it's the story of thirteen 13-year-olds. The entire cast and orchestra were right around 13. It was really fabulous! The kids did a great job, and the book/lyrics were very funny and heartwarming. I would really recommend that if you're in the area, and don't mind a brief reminder of how horrible it was to be thirteen, you check it out!


Sunday was spent catching up a little - we saw three movies, I knitted up a storm and we even got out for a little walk midday. We saw Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest, Apocalypse Now, and Superman Returns. All three were very good. Pirates had great special effects and was a real swashbuckling adventure. I had never seen Apocalypse Now but I read Heart of Darkness when I was in high school. Martin Sheen was fantastic and it was one creepy movie. Superman was probably the weakest of the three movies although I still enjoyed it. I'm not sure I bought that the young-looking characters had just come back from a 5 year absence, nor that Clark Kent and Superman could return after 5 years on the exact same day and no one would notice. But, you know.... it was still a good watch.


Lastly, knitting progress. I've been slacking on the knitting part of this blog but I do have the first few finished objects of 2007 to show you. The first is a reversible cable scarf in Noro Silk Garden and will be a (belated) Christmas gift for a friend. The second is an Irish Hiking Scarf in a lovely rusty merino, also destined for a New Year's gift. (Can you tell I got into cables over break?) Finally, something I whipped up in the past few days - the first of a pair of birthday socks for my sweetie.

I think that's all the news that's fit to print for now. More later as I find juicy tidbits!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home