Friday, December 01, 2006

Hollywood Gossip: "Virgin Mary" De-virginized


Despite my unrelenting battle against religion, I admit that I have some interest in the new movie The Nativity Story. Despite it's religious nature, I have always had an interest in biblical stories, both because they have been passed down for generations and because they are so present and influential in so much literature, music, and art. I also adore Shohreh Aghdashloo - I have ever since House of Sand and Fog. I also loved Keisha Castle-Huges in Whale Rider.

Which is why, as much as I hate to say it, I find the public outcry against and aftermath of this story amusing:

Young 'Whale Rider' Actress Keisha Castle-Hughes Pregnant

NEW YORK — Keisha Castle-Hughes is growing up fast. The 16-year-old actress, who was nominated for a best-actress Oscar for her role in 2002's "Whale Rider," is expecting a baby in the spring, the agency that represents her confirmed.

The father is her boyfriend of three years, Bradley Hull, 19.

Castle-Hughes, who was born in Australia, played the Queen of Naboo in last year's "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith." She will be seen next as Mary in "The Nativity Story," set for release Dec. 1.


Honestly, my first reaction to hearing the news was suprise. Sixteen seems so young to me, especially in this day and age. I feel as though my own life only really began at 25, so I can't imagine having had a child what would be 12 years ago now.

What I find amusing, however, is the interplay between Hollywood and religion. The film's director, Catherine Hardwicke, is excellent. But her last movie, Thirteen, was a hard look at the life of a teen reeling in drugs and sex. This isn't exactly papally approved. So now the story of Mary and the Immaculate Conception lies in her hands in The Nativity Story. And then the actress starring as Mary turns up pregnant. And then the Pope neither attends nor blesses the premiere. And then Castle-Hughes doesn't attend the premiere in the Vatican. It seems sort of a comedy of errors, no?

Clearly, Castle-Hughes's life is no one's business but her own. No one should have a right to judge her actions, nor to hold her up to a religious standard (or any standard for that matter). And I do hope that she has a happy healthy child and is able to enjoy a successful and fulfilling life.

I just can't help but enjoy the irony and the hand-wringing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home