Thursday, June 29, 2006

Love and Online Gaming


After Hours
Originally uploaded by littledevilworks.
From the June 9, 2006 edition of the Wall Street Journal, front page, column 4:

To Find a Mate, Raid a Dungeon or Speak Like an Elf
Flirting in Online Games Can Lead to Offline Love

Nine and a half years ago a friend introduced me to a MUD, a multi-user dungeon. This was a text-based virtual reality game where I could slay dragons and talk to people from around the world at the same time. This place was called After Hours Mud.

For those that don't want their kids playing online games, I understand that there are dangers out there. But I want to emphasize a few good things in my life that have come from gaming.

I have made some of my best friends online, people who I never would have met had I not chatted with them first.

Over the past nine and a half years I corresponded with the love of my life. Only after seven and a half years did I meet him, fall in love and know that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him.

I'm thankful every day that I got sucked into the void of the Internet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adie said...

I'm still not sure if I should apologize or not.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home