Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Summer Reading Program Book #3

For my third book of the summer, I have been delving into Throwing the Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up by Stanley Bing.

This is a humorous look into what it takes to manage your boss, and ultimately help yourself. It's taken me a bit to get into it, but each page elicits fresh snickers. Although I admit I've still got a few pages left to go, I thought I'd pimp the book anyway. A great read for anyone who's dealt with a boss who wants to be treated like a boss.

Excerpt:

"Elephants are large, with big, flat feet, and they tread much underfoot as they go along. Because they eat a tremendous amount, they also tend to leave an unconscionable amount of waste in their wake.

And who is there to clean up that waste? The elephant? HA! No such thing. Wrap your no-mind around it. Most of your activity, particularly in the beginning of your time in service, will take place behind the elephant. They do their thing or, at times, things. We clean up after them. That is the law of nature, or at least of elephants."




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home