Tuesday, May 09, 2006

What IS my obsession with squares??? (also known as "Getting what you asked for and then deciding it isn't what you wanted")


Square
Originally uploaded by littledevilworks.
So all my life I have tended toward the edgy and modern, less towards the traditional. This means that most of my life is lived in vivid colors. I shun pale pinks and blues in favor of aqua and burgundy.

So I thought I was a square girl. Let me explain.

For years I idolized the Tiffany Princess Cut ring. You know the one, the one every girl loves (which is here for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about). I wanted that Princess Square like I never wanted anything else. I loved looking at it longingly in magazines and visiting the site.

Then I tried it on. (Well ok it wasn't Tiffany's, but I tried on a similar Princess Cut.) And I HATED it. The square on my hand looked horrible. That plain stone that I had thought I always wanted wasn't anything like what I really wanted. And I ended up getting something full of round diamonds, with a unique setting that I'd never seen anywhere.

*takes a brief break to apologize to all those women who have princess cut single stone rings because she's sure they're beautiful, they just aren't for her*

So where was I? Oh yes, square obsession. For years I thought I was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. I wasn't as social as my sister, I didn't seem to fit in very well with the people around me, I found most of the parties and liquor in college boring. Yes I was SQUARE. Except - I loved being around people. And now in my life more than ever, I find that I have a group of friends. I talk to and hang out with more people today than I ever have. And that "separation" I felt from everyone else - I hate that. I'm getting to be more rounded, and finding where I fit in. And I don't want to be square. I want to let loose and have a little fun.

Which brings me to tonight. You've all read my stories about getting my nails done. I decided tonight I wanted something different - a beautiful white tip manicure. And secretly, way down deep inside, I've always wanted square white tips.

Yeah you see where this is going.

The man who did my nails tonight is excellent. He is without a doubt, the best manicurist I have ever sat for, and recently I've sat for quite a few. He did an impeccable job on my nails. They're gorgeous. But you know what?

I don't like square nails.

Hah. Big surprise right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home