Wednesday, September 14, 2005

When you dream, what do you dream about?

When you dream,
what do you dream about?
Do you dream about
music or mathematics
or planets too far for the eye?
Do you dream about
Jesus or quantum mechanics
or angels who sing lullabies?
- Barenaked Ladies


So what do YOU dream about?

My dreams have always been strange but I have a few persistent themes. I cannot handle any glassware in my dreams - drinks, bottles - anything I try and hold onto I drop, spill, or shatter. When I'm driving in my dreams I absolutely cannot stop at the limit lines to save my life... I always press my foot down on the brakes and skid into the intersection. Or I have dreams where I'm desperately trying to get a task done and no matter what happens I just cannot seem to complete the task.

Now I'm not much for dream interpretation (I had a therapist who once told me that a duck in my dreams that was nipping at my heels was definitely my father - that's a lot of hooey!), but all of these seem to happen when I feel a sense of helplessness or loss of control over the things that are happening in life. Interesting how the subconscious melds with the conscious to create some whacked out dreams.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I used to have this really elaborate dream about castle grayskull over and over again when I was little. I mean on an almost nightly basis. I can still tell you exactly how it goes (minus a few He-man character names).

What's more, I have flying dreams all the time, but only in recent years have I had the nerve to actually soar around instead of just hovering anxiously a few feet off the ground. Now I fly in pretty much every dream I remember.

I also have dreams very much like the ones you described. I don't have problems holding things, but I can't hit someone or scream in a dream to save my life. I wake up if I come close. Not only that, I can't stop cars at ALL, and I can never get my clothes on to get ready to leave the house. Oh wait, that's real life too.

(I obviously did not consider this a rhetorical question ;)

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home