Wednesday, August 24, 2005

One of our own.

A while back I wrote about how this nation's war in Iraq was touching my life, albeit in small ways. It has happened again.

Today a work colleague packed up some of his belongings and quietly left, having received orders to ship out by next week to Afghanistan. They're saying that Afghanistan at this point is even more dangerous than Iraq. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised - I work for an Army-funded center - but I am.

I'm ashamed to say that most days I don't give this whole mess much thought. I try and focus on the positive, and it is only human nature to tune out repeated counts of violence in a land that seems so far away it might be make believe. (**Please note, I am not denying the existence, just stating that sometimes it seems so distant that it is like a bad dream).

I am not a religious person and I don't believe in a higher being. So when the thoughts "Please let him come home safe and please let this end soon" crossed my mind, I wondered who or what it is that I am asking for help. But please, let him come home safe and may we all as Americans find our way back to peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home