Monday, June 20, 2005

Blogsurfing...

So I'm blogsurfing tonight in a post-midterm stupor and I stumble upon someone who has catalogued the BBC's top 200 books of all time. I'm humming along, checking out what's on there, noting I've read approximately half of them, and heard of most of the rest and then it dawns on me that all 4 Harry Potter books are on there. Now if this is a list of the best sellers of all time, I'm all in agreement. But if this is the top 200 books of all time, as in the best of the best, I'm just thinking that not all 4 of the Harry Potter books should make the list. Somehow J.K. Rowling isn't quite the calibre of Charles Dickens, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jane Austen, William Shakespeare, etc. Any thoughts?

To see what's on there... click here.

***Update***

On second perusal I'd like to just say I don't know what kind of crack they were smoking but I only consider about 100 of these to be truly the best of all time. I love Roald Dahl, and I'll vote for one book (Charlie & the Chocolate Factory) but you can't convince me that he merits 4 or 5 entries in the top 200 of all time. I'm out.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jhaan said...

Well, the list is clearly Brit-centric. ;-) Austen, Adams, Dahl, Rowling, Dickens, Pratchett, Tolkien, among others.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home