Monday, June 13, 2005

The War in Iraq

No, this isn't going to be a hugely political post, though I'm sure I can go off on the subject quite nicely. This is merely how the war seems to have touched my life, albeit in a small way. It is interesting to note that the US has more or less been at war with the Middle East since 9/11. Sure we've switched countries and "missions", but that is approximately 3.5 years of war. And what can we really say for that? We've destroyed Afghanistan, and now Iraq, but have we "won"? Has anything we've done been considered progress or even good?

In my MBA class we have a few military folks, but one in particular was a very dedicated member of the army until he returned to school. This past weekend he sent out an email asking for help. One of his fellow officers was killed in Iraq last week and leaves behind a wife and small daughter. What my classmate was asking for was not a donation, but for financial advice because he and the other officers wanted to start a college fund for this soldier's daughter. What he got was an outpouring of financial advice from a variety of students. And even though I barely know my classmate, let alone his fellow officers, it hit home. People like us are dying. And it's left to those of us back home to help people pick up the pieces and move on. I know one fund I'm contributing to, even though he didn't ask.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home