Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Let's talk turkey.


I have always loved Thanksgiving more than any other holiday. Since my family doesn't celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving was always our idyllic family holiday. When I was little, we would pile in the car and drive to my grandparents house for a day of cooking and fun and an overnight with my beloved Gramma. Sure there was turkey, but there were also candied yams (with marshmallows!), Gramma's stuffing (made from scratch!), pumpkin casserole, my mother's pumpkin bread, and all our family gathered around the table. In the later years, my grandparents would drive down to our house. Gramma would supervise in the kitchen, and my sister, mother and I would cook under her able direction. Gramma died in 2000. My grandfather is still alive, but is not doing well. This will be the first year he doesn't join us for Thanksgiving. However, I'm still happy that the holiday is here. I'm thankful that I get to spend it with my parents, my sister and her boyfriend, and my hubby-to-be. Beth and I are going to make Gramma's stuffing tonight, and everything tomorrow will taste just as it always has, of family and love.

There's one other tradition in my family. I have noticed that this is appearing on many other blogs as well, so apparently I'm not alone. But if you have a spare 20 minutes give this holiday tradition a listen.

Hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home