Monday, February 26, 2007

Being a Grownup - Magazine Style


Last week I had a doctor's appointment. As I arrived at the office I was surprised by the magazine collection on the table. The waiting room that was normally filled with National Geographic, Sunset, WebMD, Highlights, and the Smithsonian was stacked to the max with Glamour, Cosmo, Jane, Lucky, Redbook, Vogue, etc. I commented to my doctor (who let it be known is a psychiatrist) and he responded that no indeed he hadn't had a sex change, but someone else had brought all of their old magazines to share.

The other night I was flipping through my copy of Real Simple, contemplating whether or not to renew my subscription. I like the magazine, but I seem to get less and less out of it as time goes by, and I'm just not sure I want to continue.

As I started to think about what I might choose instead (insert Knitting Magazine here) I thought about how my magazine choices seem to change as I age. Even just a few years ago I was knee deep in Glamours, Redbooks, and several others. Now, given school expenses and a little maturity (and boredom - how many times can you read about those three little sex secrets?), I have a more balanced reading list.

As of today, I receive Fortune Magazine (as my bi-weekly collection of business stories and general news), Interweave Knits (as my need for knitting patterns and new challenges keeps increasing) and In Style (to fill the mental fluff category, amusing since I am neither a fashionista nor have I bought any significant wardrobe enhancements in the last 5 years).

So there ya have it: what's generally on my coffee table waiting to be read. What do you read?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger ndef said...

Mostly gaming magazines - OXM and Nintendo Power - and the occasional Wired. Other than those, I prefer short-form humor like Dave Barry and John Hodgman, or bound editions of comics and graphic novels for my light reading.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home