Thursday, June 08, 2006

"Free Reading"


Curiouser and Curiouser
Originally uploaded by littledevilworks.
Back in elementary school, I used to love "free reading" afternoons. This was the part of the day where we were allowed to read for 20 minutes or a half an hour. We could read whatever book we chose, the only rule was that we had to be reading quietly.

This led to summers of going to the library, and reading as many books as we could so we could earn free pizza coupons and my sister and I could best each other in the numbers of books we had read.

These days, between work and graduate school reading, and a not entirely healthy addiction to the internet and the boob tube, I don't get to practice my "free reading" much. In the last month or so, I've decided to try to fix that.

So it was with much delight that I found the Kat with a K Summer Reading Program 2006. This is the perfect opportunity to set a reading goal, post some book reviews and maybe get a little prize out of it! I've pledged to read 6 books. Here's the first:

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by mark haddon

I picked this book up during our camping trip and I have to say I got hooked. This is the story of an autistic boy (most probably Asperger's) who struggles with his daily life, the death of his mother, and the murder of a neighbor's dog. When he sets out to "solve the murder mystery" he ends up learning a lot more about himself and life.

This was a quick read, engaging and interesting. I don't know too much about autism, but this was also a really fascinating look into the mind of someone who doesn't function like you and I do. I would highly recommend this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home