Friday, November 18, 2005

Eats, Shoots & Leaves


Eats, Shoots & Leaves
Originally uploaded by littledevilworks.
I started this little gem this morning while waiting at the DMV. (Don't ask!) I have to say: Finally a book for those of us who enjoy the English language and don't enjoy seeing it butchered. Since I started it this morning I have become hyperaware of my punctuation and word usage.

Punctuation/Bad Grammar seen today:

* Irregardless
* Grammer (and I'm not talking about Kelsey!)
* It's v. Its

And the day is young yet!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Try this one:
(1)Hank and I went to the store.
(2)Me and Hank went to the store.
(3)Hank and me went to the store.
(4)I and Hank went to the store.

There good examples. They're are two that can be proved to be linguistically correct (well anything we say technically can), but their is only one that is 'correct' according to standard polite (U.S.) English.

If that's not enough, I might could offer up some more good'ns.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Lynlee said...

I have a problem with WHO v. THAT.

I am a person WHO enjoys reading.

I am NOT a person THAT enjoys reading.

Really scared me when my college English teacher said "that" instead of "who"

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

I could start an argument about this one: 'that' probably isn't a relative pronoun. Don't worry (:o>)I'll blog about it on mine instead.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home