Monday, October 24, 2005

Human Kindness and the Need to Help.

Sometimes, watching the 11pm news, I wonder what the heck is going wrong in society. Then other times, I'm taken aback by human kindness and the need to help those around us.

Driving in this morning I had the unfortunate luck to witness a minivan flip onto its side on the freeway. I did what I always do in those situations - whip out my trusty cell phone, figure out where I am and how best to describe what I've seen, and call 911. What I witnessed, however, far exceeded my contribution.

There is construction on this part of the highway and the road is currently down to two lanes. Several cars pulled over to the right and people jumped out to help. Construction workers from across the street bounded over the barriers and one climbed on top of the car and had the door open before I could even dial.

I was immediately directed to drive around the accident and as much as I wanted to stay and help, I knew that I should keep moving so as not to create a bigger mess. I hope those people in the van are ok. And to those of you who jumped out and tried to help, you're the heroes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home