Monday, October 10, 2005

The Reviews

In my post about nothing interesting yesterday I completely forgot to give my weekend movie/tv smackdown:

* The Wedding Date - I wasn't expecting much from this movie with Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney, but it was romantic and cute, if not overly deep or intellectual. 3 stars for good, solid entertainment.

* Wall Street - Caught this one on TV and thought it was so-so. Sure Michael Douglas is the quintissential 80's millionaire bastard Gordon Gekko, and Charlie Sheen is the young prodigy Bud Fox who ultimately screws the millionaire, but I just couldn't relate. It reminded me a of a great book though - Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis, a book on the mayhem within Salomon Brothers and the ultimate downfall of the junk bond era. The book I would recommend... the movie.... eh.

* Prime Suspect, Season 1 - Not a movie, but DVD's from Netflix. This quirky BBC crime drama features Helen Mirren, Tom Wilkinson, and a zany British cast in a somewhat gruesome and kinky murder detective series. Think Law & Order in the UK. The mini-series was 4 episodes spent on 1 case and it was pretty good. I'm signing up for Season 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home